Tuesday 1 April 2014

Asian-Korean/Japanese Skincare

So you've probably heard about asian skincare by now with the Koreans & the Japanese leading the pack(wonder when Malaysia will,but still looking forward to it!).Myself being Malaysian,to be honest with you, I haven't really gotten any idea on why the rage for asian skincare,especially Korean skincare-UNTIL NOW(gulp!).As you all might know,I like making reviews & also read them-review junkie/face mask junkie.Most of the beauty products' reviews I'd stumble upon on search engines would almost always be on Korean skincare line.So I got quite curious..guess you can guess what happens next :PI was impressed!
     Before, I'd only follow a 3-step skincare regime that includes cleansing + toning + moisturising.But then as I've gotten older,I started incorporating other basics like facial scrubs + face masks.Face masks being my fave!With these 5, somehow I've concluded that I've perfected my skincare regime :)But then,that changed as I'd gotten to know of Korean skincare routines :)Somehow I think I can also say that Korean/Japanese skincare represents asian skincare,because I think both of these countries are kinda developed & brilliant in their respective beauty departments.Korean & Japanese skincare products are somewhat similar except that some terms are used interchangeably(i.e Japanese call their toners as lotions whereas Koreans call their emulsions as lotions-kinda confusing!!I know- but you'll get used to it!).My skincare regime have always been more "western"-I'd use products from Simple,St Ives,Clinique,L'oreal etc-and they've all somehow worked for me.But obviously,thanks to genetics!-asian skin is different to that of other types of skin-so that kinda got me thinking of a change.Since asian based products cater more to asian skin,as more extensive research has been done of their products towards asian skin-logic enough?But since products like Clinique/L'oreal rocked my skin I don't see why asian skincare products can't do the same to other skin types!So you should definitely give it a try despite what type of skin you have-BEAUTY IS A GAMBLE hahax don't know how that came out from me :p
      Anyway, besides the above said reasons,I really adore Korean women's skin.Especially when I watch their dramas & shows-their actresses have got great skin!They're somewhat dewy,shiny & porcelain-like-thanks to the ever famous BB cream!Primers are also an in thing right now but I've always believed that the best base for make up is good skin!So I'm hoping by following this new regime -it could get me that!
                                         
My fave Korean actress-Kim Tae Hee's got great skin!
      Basically these are the steps of a basic(couldn't get basic-er enough!)of this skincare routine.It's known as the 'layering' method.The French calls this 'millefeuille':
Step 1:Cream/Oil cleansing(at night)-Part of the 'double-cleansing' method-mainly to remove make up,but have additional properties(yay!),such as moisturising,prevents moisture from the skin being stripped off due to double cleansing
Step 2:Cleansing-the normal(night & day)-To remove excess cream/oil cleanser,if not,it'll shout=OILY FACE
Step 3:Massage cream(optional)
Step 4:Toner or lotion(Japanese) or skin water/balancer (Koreans)-western skincare usually use it together with cotton pads to wipe off the dirt & blemishes,but typically in this routine,only hands are used to pat them on the face-why waste them on cotton pads right?!Meanwhile the Japanese thought of a little something called 'lotion mask'-where you soak cotton pads with toner & stick the pads to the face-hence the word mask!Brilliant right!?That way,all the toner's goodness can be absorbed better :)
Step 5:Serum/essence-Contains high concentrates of ingredients that works on the deep layers of our skin!It's made up of smaller molecules compared to of a moisturiser/emulsion-hence it should be layered on first for maximum penetration.
Step 6:Moisturiser/emulsion or lotion(Korean) or Milk(Japanese)-the basics!
Step 7:Cream/(optional-if you have oily skin,you can skip this) or eye cream
Step 8:Special treatment(spot lighteners etc)
Step 9:Make up/Sunscreen
Step 10:For maintenance:Face packs(sheet masks are a big thing in Korea),sleeping masks :)

       Woah!!What a list.From my basic 3-step routine,to a 5, & now this!But it's going to be worth it,I know,because I'm trying it out myself.Plus,the steps might look tiresome at first, especially to people who're just like me,who thinks minimal is the way to go,though laziness is the REAL culprit :p But once you do see the results & what this routine does to your skin,you'll definitely make yourself more disciplined in your regimen & it'll turn out to be fun-having great skin is fun fun fun hahax.So give it a try-no harm done,no matter what type of skin you have :D
       If you're new to Korean/Japanese skincare routines,here are some of my favourite products that you can add into your current regimen-to make it to a 9-step routine!:(Note that I have oily-combination + sensitive-during cold seasons T.T-so not all the stuffs I use may be ok for your skin, so do ask around first before purchasing,or you can ask me!Plus most beauty stores these days give out samples!So don't be shy to ask for one :) )
-Daiso Japan's Blackheads Charcoal Peel Off Mask(great to remove white heads too!)
-The Face Shop's Chia Seed Sebum Control Moisture Cream
-Skin Food's Black Sesame Hot Mask
-The Face Shop's Raspberry Roots Mask
*I've made reviews on all 4 of these,so you can look them up here Beauty Diary-hopefully they'll help you!

       With these,I still use my Clinique facial cleanser for type 4 skin & Clinique's mild toner-and they work perfectly fine together:)And I'm planning to add some more one at a time-because I don't want to shock my skin with new products at one go!-skin can be culture shocked too yahh knoww!So it doesn't mean that you're switching to a new skincare routine,you'd need to completely make over your beauty hauls.I love mix & matching asian & western based products-and that's what you should start out with first.Here are some other products I'm trying to get my hands on Wish List -maybe they can do you justice:0
Hopefully these explanations helped you in figuring out what your skin really needs-like they have helped mine.Feel free to leave comments,I'd love to hear news on your progress & I'll update on mine too :)Thanks for reading!See ya!


No comments:

Post a Comment